SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Suppress PRINT

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
Suppress PRINT
gemisigo

Post Suppress PRINT Reply with quote
Is there a way to suppress PRINT and/or RAISERROR when executing a snippet so that it does not show the Messages window?
Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:29 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I'm afraid I don't know a workaround for suppressing PRINT and other types of SQL Server returned warnings and informational messages. I've checked connection settings for SQL Server ADO.NET and so far haven't found specific parameters that can make non-result-set outputs to be ignored at the server or driver level.
Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:33 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
I haven't found a solution for that either, but that was not what I meant to ask. I've created a few $$...$$ snippet that generate some sql code and they use built-in stored procedures like sp_helpconstraint to gather some information into a table variable that will be used in the data transformation and code generation process. Now sp_helpconstraint and many others as well developed the bad habit of raising errors or simply printing messages when there's something missing, even though it might not be an actual error. Eg. sp_helpconstraint uses
Code:
raiserror(15470,-1,-1, 'whatever_object')

when the object is a table that is not referenced by a foreign key . This in turn results in SA showing the Messages window (besides putting the generated code into the editor). Built-in procedures tend to print random things I've already taken care of (or don't care at all) and the resulting Messages window is obstructing working area. I know it's easy to remove it but it becomes wearisome after a while.

Is it possible to suppress this raiserorr in SA by explicitly (or using a setting or something) telling SA that I don't want to see the Messages window regardless it's content? In case it isn't would you consider adding a switch or an option to $$...$$ macro to implement Messages window suppression feature, please?
Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:12 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thanks for clarifications, I see it's a bitt different issue. To your last question, I will check with the development team, as I'm not sure what's involved in the processing of snippets code and how deeply it is integrated with the generic functions used for the code execution.

Don't know if the following is a viable solution for you, but can you simply make a copy of sp_helpconstraint as sp_my_helpconstraint and in that version comment out "print" and "raiserror" commands?
Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:39 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
SysOp wrote:
Don't know if the following is a viable solution for you, but can you simply make a copy of sp_helpconstraint as sp_my_helpconstraint and in that version comment out "print" and "raiserror" commands?

Unfortunately, that's not an option. It would require maintaining a large number of different procedures on several servers. As a workaround, I had torn the guts of it instead and put it into the snippet. The drawback is that the snippet became a mess. And to make it worse, I'll have to do that to some other snippets as well :)
Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:11 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: