SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Differences between server service and local GUI

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite View previous topic
View next topic
Differences between server service and local GUI
hberzajs

Post Differences between server service and local GUI Reply with quote
We are running 24x7 on a server as a service and using the web portal for job management. We accidentally had an instance also open on the server in GUI mode and believe we had job duplication. Then we read about the /notimer option. Is this expected behavior?

Can the server version be run w/o /notimer safely or is there the risk of duplicate jobs being scheduled?

But while in /notimer I cannot use Job Database Manager to bring over additional schedules from our desktop version (or so I believe). Is this expected behavior? Do I then start a copy of the server GUI local instance with timer so as to manage new Job and Folder copies? This I must do in a short window so no duplicate jobs are launched, I would believe.

Thanks
Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:10 pm View user's profile Send private message
hberzajs

Post Reply with quote
I welcome comments from others but I find that the services for 24x7 and the web portal need to be restarted to reflect changes made by the local server GUI. Is this expected behavior?
Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:30 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
I welcome comments from others but I find that the services for 24x7 and the web portal need to be restarted to reflect changes made by the local server GUI. Is this expected behavior?

No it's not, but in a different way. You are not expected to run the GUI version while running the service. This is a no, no... The GUI is not a a separate GUI, it's a full blown scheduler instance run in graphical mode. Try using 2 instances of Microsoft Word to edit the same document concurrently, nothing good will come out of it. Same is here. Please use the web console to work with the scheduler in client-server mode. The web console is a management tool enabling multiple users to work with the same scheduler concurrently from anywhere. If you really feel like you need the GUI for a special reason, please stop the service first.

The /NOTIMER option is used typically in special cases and emergencies. It enables you to start the GUI version or console mode version without enabling the timer and running jobs automatically, kind of in off-line management mode.
Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:09 am View user's profile Send private message
hberzajs

Post Reply with quote
Thank you. I had come to the conclusion to not have the local server GUI running but only use the Web portal. My need is just to use the Job Manager to bring over new folders. I suppose we can stop the service version for a short period for the migrate of new content.
Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:26 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » 24x7 Scheduler, Event Server, Automation Suite All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: