SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[SA 7.2.331 Pro] - Bird's View glitch

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
[SA 7.2.331 Pro] - Bird's View glitch
gemisigo

Post [SA 7.2.331 Pro] - Bird's View glitch Reply with quote
The Help says that SA scans the first 1000 lines and automatically builds page view for those lines and while that might actually happen, the page views built do not get displayed until the part of the code is in the editor. Check this short video here.

As you can see, when I invoke Bird's View only the view for the current screen is displayed and the rest is added as I scroll down. Refreshing the Bird's View pane results in clearing the view completely, regenerating the screenshot and again, only displaying the actual screen.

Also, I'd like to request the extension of this feature. As you could see in the video, when I typed SELECT the corresponding popup was shown not only on the main edit pane but on the Bird's View as well, hence I thought Bird's View is interactive, that is, it gets refreshed when something happens on the screen. Alas, it's not completely true, for when I clicked a word and it (and all the same words in the editor at the same time) got highlighted with magenta background, the Bird's View did not reflect the change at all until I refreshed it. Which in turned wiped the view itself, so I had to scroll down again.

I believe being able to see the locations of the selected word on Bird's View would be awesome. Could you include highlighting matching words to the group of events that trigger view refresh, please?
Fri May 22, 2015 7:27 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Somehow this message was left without a response. I'm sorry about that.

The Bird's Eye View behavior has changed over the years, but the help topic seems to be not in sync. The view stitches together small screenshots of editor tab pages. And I mean scaled down screenshots. In order to capture such screenshots in most development environments the pages have to be displayed on the screen. As far as I know the original implementation attempted to auto-scroll the contents of the editor on the new tab opening in order to capture all screenshots and some users complained that it makes the environment slow especially when working with large files. So it was changed later to capture screenshots as pages are scrolled manually and become visible. what you describe here is caused by that behavioral change.

There is also a difference in behavior between targets using simple buffering and double buffering for UI changes. SA can only do as much as aadd-on or external tool can do that doesn't have access to the enter code of the target environment and cannot change it
Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:55 am View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
That must be true when operating as an add-on or external tool. But what about SE, where it is (or it could be) tightly integrated? You're probably bored with me always coming with Sublime Text as an example, but it has a similar feature called Minimap that has some interesting traits, such as always using the same compression and using mouse drag instead of scrolling (employing some sort of dynamic offset to move the current window around). It also provides the minimap even for relatively large files and traverses it smoothly.
Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:27 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I googled for a screenshot of SE minimal and if my senses are correct, that is vertical split read only view of the editor with scalled down fonts. I think it can be done in SQL Editor, there's a horizontal split already, just use small fonts and vertical split, but I doubt it's doable in any other target. Just my 2 cents

Last edited by SysOp on Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:11 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Interesting idea. How do I make it to split vertically?

EDIT:
Oh, my bad. You mean it could be done by splitting it vertically instead of horizontally, reducing the font size in the split view and sync the split to the original to make navigation possible, right?
Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:40 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
You got me correctly. If my thinking is correct, we can implement that in SQL Editor, we just cannot make SSMS and other targets to do the same, we don't have that level of control over the target environment.

I'm just throwing an idea. If you want, I can submit an enhancement request to implement that feature. Please let me know.
Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:15 pm View user's profile Send private message
gemisigo

Post Reply with quote
Please, do so. If it worked, that would improve this feature a lot, even if only in SE. It is already making SSMS rather obsolete.
Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:40 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: