SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
SQL Assistant locks DataBase

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
SQL Assistant locks DataBase
cfontan

Post SQL Assistant locks DataBase Reply with quote
I have 2 developers who have tried different version on two different development machines and while SQL Assistant is present on the machine and SSMS 2008 is used with sql assistant it kills connections to the development SQL server 2005.

what I mean by locked is the web server times out when trying to access the DB.

No change when sql assistant "Suspend All" is selected or Exist Sql Assistant.

Have to do a hard reboot of computer. Any Suggestions?

Using latest trial version from your site 5.2.*
Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:32 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOpJ

Post Reply with quote
Some of what you're saying is a little confusing to me, but the first thing I'd check is make sure your 2008 and 2005 instances are listening on different ports. 1433 is the default. One, if not both of them, should be something else.

If they are, you'll need to reconfigure one of them.
If they are not:
What do you mean by "different version"?
You say a hard boot is necessary ... what happens if you just shut down the 2008 service?
You say the web server times out ... how about other client tools that you can connect with, for instance, named pipes rather than TCP?
What do you mean by "Exist Sql Assistant"?
Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:52 am View user's profile Send private message
cfontan

Post Reply with quote
sorry was a long day yesterday and that was at 2am :)

Well sql assistant version 4.6 was previously installed on a few machines.. This version caused the "locking" I can see the sql agent in the activity manager. We installed the new trial version to test it out yesterday.. BUT it seems one of our developers did not reboot after uninstalling the 4.6 version and it still had a connection.. We are going to try the new version and see if all goes good.. If so we will be ordering. If not I will contact you to work through the issue (if exists).

Very nice tool for our new developers coming in that do not know our system. We have thousands of tables spanned over multiple databases and this tool has surely helped get them familiar with the table structure without needless browsing the sql tree in SSMS..

Thank you for your quick response.
Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:11 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Please disable "background syntax checker" feature in version 4.6 and check if that resolves the issue.
Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:12 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: