SoftTree Technologies SoftTree Technologies
Technical Support Forums
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
6.2.112 - Auto check cause selected text to execute

Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant View previous topic
View next topic
6.2.112 - Auto check cause selected text to execute
Nicolas

Post 6.2.112 - Auto check cause selected text to execute Reply with quote
Hi

I've just discovered an issue caused directly by auto check process. It cause the selected text to be executed while beeing checked.

First I thought i had executed an update i was working on, causing a set of data to be altered, then it append again on a delete querry, then i began to be suspicious about my own software. I investigated until I finnaly isolated the issue to the Auto check function inside Sql Assistant.

The process to trigger this issue is as follow :

- set the Auto check function (Item Check SQL Syntax/Auto check/After 3 sec of idle)
- write an update querry to change a value (without execute it)
- select the text on your favorite querry tool
- wait 3 seconds
- querry to check the value

then the value has changed all by itself and most of all unwantedly.

Keep on your great job

Regards
Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:49 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Would you please describe your environment, database type, database version and service pack / path level if any, connectivity method?
Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:53 am View user's profile Send private message
Nicolas

Post Reply with quote
Of course, here are the details

Result from Select @@VERSION
Adaptive Server Enterprise/15.0.3/EBF 16548 ESD#1/P/Sun_svr4/OS 5.8/ase1503/2680/64-bit/FBO/Thu Mar 5 09:39:28 2009

I connect to my Database via ODBC
Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:30 am View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Thank you. This is very helpful. The issue is database type/version specific, and it could be also affected by the connection settings.

We are checking why SET FMTONLY ON command has no effect on your version of Sybase ASE or the type of connection used. The commands in the editor should not be executed during the syntax check.

I will post more details after our testing is complete.
Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:38 pm View user's profile Send private message
SysOp
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hi,

Unfortunately I got some bad news and some good news.
The bed news first. This issue is caused by a bug (bug id #SA0020162) in the SQL Assistant version you are running. SQL Assistant currently uses the same method for syntax checking for all T-SQL based environments including MS SQL Server and Sybase ASE and unfortunately that method is not working well with ASE. With ASE it can only be used for stored procedures but not individual commands. It causes actual execution of the commands in the editor. So unless you have your script enclosed in BEGIN TRAN and ROLLBACK TRAN commands, the commands within the script get physically executed in the database with a permanent effect.

The good news, we are working on a fix, which is going to be available in the next maintenance release 6.3. That expected few weeks from now.

If you are working with Sybase ASE, please disable the background syntax check feature for now.
Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:48 pm View user's profile Send private message
Nicolas

Post Reply with quote
I've already disabled the syntax check, so far i haven't discovered any more issues

Glad I could help you improving your software

Regards
Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:31 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    SoftTree Technologies Forum Index » SQL Assistant All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: